Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Winner of the Birkirkara St Joseph 5km Running Series

Hi Everyone

Finally I won the BSJ 5km Running Series for the first time in my career. The consistency in all the three 5km paid off. It was a difficult series to win as I did these races as part of my training schedule. The races were held in the evening and before the race I always had to do a 13km run in the morning and a 4km Endurance swim session in the afternoon so I was not so sharp for the race but I always did my best.


In the first race I came 2nd and first Maltese in 16.16 behind Swedish professional runner Martin Wvopio who won the race in 16.10. In the 2nd race I came 2nd again and first Maltese in a time of 16.45 behind Portuguese professional runner Bruno Lima who won the race in 16.00. Here I went out too fast in the first 2km and I could keep the pace with Lima as got tired and the training effort took its toll but at least manged to increase my lead from my nearest rivals

In the third and final race which was on my birthday I was ready to give everything to win the series. In 2013 I came 2nd overall with very few seconds behind the winner. This time I wanted to win this series for the first time  in my career. I came 2nd again behind one of Malta's top runners Mark Herrera in 16.18 only 4 seconds behind Herrera thus I won the overall classification


I am very happy that I won this series for the first time in my career especially since it is organised by my club. The times registered were good considering that they were part of my training schedule and it was a good birthday present for myself as well. I would like to thank my brother/coach Dermot Galea, my swimmng coach Catalin Stan, my masseur Owen Attard, and my nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my parents and my wife's parents, my brother in Law Neil and his wife Alin,

I would like to thank also my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Mochika Outdoor Life, DGtri.com, Lucida Laundry, Challenge Malta Marathon, Jaycee Malta and Starbene 24/7,  my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation, the Maltese Olympic Committee and the the Kunsill Malti ghall-isport for the constant support. Most of all a big thanks goes to my wife Elizabeth for her great patience and great support.


Now am looking forward for these next two months as they are very important and busy as I have a lot of important races both locally and abroad. After the 2nd race of the BSJ Triathlon Series I had 3 weeks of pure training where I gave my everything in order to improve my level of performance. Both of my coaches gave a very hard training where I registered very good times and am looking forward for these upcoming races to see how much I have improved.

That's all for now

Yours in Sports

Keith




No comments:

Post a Comment