Thursday, September 24, 2015

National Aquathlon Champion for the 2nd Consecutive Year

Hi Everyone,

Another National title. Last week I won the National Aquathlon Championships for the 2nd consecutive year. This was my 2nd national title win in a week, my 10th Multi-sport National title and my 4th National title of the year. Since I am peaking for the National Triathlon Championships in October which is the Grand Final and the most important race of our Calendar, I was not that sharp and rested for the race so I was not expecting very fast times



I went out fast as usual leading the race and try to open a gap. However I could not open a wide gap in just a 2.5km run and also with tired legs. Still I came first in T1 covering the first run in 8.36. Then thanks to a very fast transition I immediately opened a good gap and started the swim at a very fast pace



I really do not like the change from run to swim as it’s a real shock to the body but I immediately settled into a good rhythm. I knew I was swimming well and I pushed a lot to open a good lead. In fact thanks to the best swim split of the day of 15.20 for the 1.1km, I had over a minute lead until I started the 2nd 2.5km Run. I kept on pushing in the 2nd run as I knew I was for another course record. In the end I won my 2nd Aquathlon title in a course record time of 33.52, 48 seconds better than last year



I am very pleased with my performance. Winning the race with such an advantage and with another course record gives me a huge boost for the upcoming important triathlon races. I would like to thank my coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my parents and my wife’s parents, my brother in law Neil Galea and his wife Alin, my nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my masseur Owen Attard,



Also I would like to thank my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Jaycee Malta, Challenge Malta Marathon, Mochika Outdoor life, DGtri.com, Starbene 24/7 and Lucida Laundry, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation and the Kunsill malti ghall-isport for the constant support. I really wisk to thank the Maltese Olympic Committee for this opportunity. Also would like to thank my wife Elizabeth for her constant support and great patience.

That’s all for now 
Yours in sports 
Keith



No comments:

Post a Comment