Thursday, September 10, 2015

Win at the Mazara del Vallo Olympic Triathlon

Hi Everyone

I just came back from a training camp in Sicily where I focused on all the three disciplines in order to improve my level of performance. The training camp was done thanks to the Maltese Olympic Committee through the Olympic Solidarity Programme where they gave me a scholarship on training camps as a prospective athlete for the Mediterranean Games 2017.


During the training camp I participated in the first Olympic Triathlon at Mazara del Vallo. The race was one of the most important races in the Sicilian Triathlon Calendar. I was a bit worried about my form as I was a bit tired from the training load I did so I was hoping that I will find my legs for the race. Thankfully as soon as I started the race, I was feeling well and I realised that I could do really well if I played my cards well

In the swim I stayed with the main group trying not to waste a lot of energy. In the 2nd lap I went in front of the group because Davide Ventura who was leading the race, was gaining a lot of advantage.  I swam really well covering the 1.5k in 19.50 and came out from the water in 2nd place with 90seconds away from the leader.


As soon as I went on the bike I tried to go alone but the Sicilians were hot on my heels. I tried another attack but it was useless so I decided to stay in the group. At least I managed to find collaboration with the Sicilians so that we work together to get Ventura. We were riding strong and we took Ventrua after 12km. Then we kept on the same pace till the end of the bike. Here I tried not to waste a lot of energy buy riding steady with a high cadence to reserve energy for the run

After a good transition I went out of T2 with Ventura and I immediately attacked him. He did not respond to my attack so I kept pushing till the end. There was a good atmosphere as all the spectators were really supporting me and although it was hot I still could push more. In the end I won the race in 1.52.23 with 3 miniutes infront of Ventura who came 2nd and Marco Parrinello in third

.
 I am very pleased with my performance. I was a bit concered about my performance due to the heavy training but I found the required energy to win the race. I knew that I had a fast run and realised that the winner will be the one with the fastest run so I tried to reserve energy for the run as much as I could and I hydrated myself well because I knew that in the run it will be hot.I would like to thank all the Sicilians for the support and a big well done for organizing such a wonderful race


I would like to thank my coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my parents and my wife’s parents, my brother in law Neil Galea and his wife Alin, my nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my masseur Owen Attard, my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Jaycee Malta, Challenge Malta Marathon, Mochika Outdoor life, DGtri.com, Starbene 24/7 and Lucida Laundry, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation and the Kunsill malti ghall-isport for the constant support. I really wisk to thank the Maltese Olympic Committee for this opportunity. Also would like to thank my wife Elizabeth for her constant support and great patience.


That’s all for now 
Yours in sports
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment