Friday, March 17, 2017

Hardest win but one of the most beautiful of my career

Hi Everyone

On the 12th February the 2017 multisport season kicked off with the traditional Draft – Legal Sprint Duathlon organised by Agones Sfc in conjunction with Hal Safi Local Council. The race was held in the circuit of Hal Safi and consisted of a 4.4km RUN – 18KM Bike and 2.2km Run. Before this race I took part in several running and cycling races placing 3rd in the Urban Jungle Valletta 10km and in the 3000m Pre Season meeting at the Marsa Track


It looked from the very beginning that it was going a tight battle between Shaun Galea, David Agius Lia and myself. We pulled away from the rest of the group and came in together in T1 covering the first run in a time of 15.09. I tried to make the bike difficult from the very beginning as I attacked immediately in the first kilometre. However Shaun and Agius Lia were hot on my heels. I did not give up and I continued to attack to build a gap on my nearest competitors however they were all unsuccessful as both of them paid great attention to all my moves. Then I decided to slow down and rest my legs for the final run. We covered the bike in 32.07.

                                                 

Agius Lia started the run at a very fast pace and I managed to stay with his pace but at one point with Agius Lia who open a gap of 50m. I did not give up and I really had to do a massive effort to dig deep into my reserves and launch my final attack. Not only did I close the gap but also managed to launch the final sprint finish to win my first race of the season in a time of 55.28. Lia came in second in 55.33 and Shaun Galea 3rd in 56.03.


I am very happy with my performance. I expected such a hard race although at one point I thought that I was not going to win knowing too well that normally I would not turn on a strong final sprint finish. This year I changed completely the approach to my training regime and am trying to build his form slowly in order to reach his peak in June for the European Triathlon Championships. This win is very significant as it consolidates all the improvement done this winter. I was particularly pleased with the great sportsmanship shown through – a great example for all athletes, especially the young ones present

I would like to thank everyone for voting for me for the people choce award. I came 3rd with just 2.5% from winning the award. So close but I am grateful that I was in the final and will work harder so that one day I will make it to the final again and try to win this award

I would like to thank my coach Ivan Rozhnov, my brother Dermot Galea, my wife Elizabeth, his daughter Elise and the rest of my family, his sponsors www.garminmalta.com, BBB Cycling Malta, Jaycee Malta, Team Barry Malta International Challenge Marathon, Starbene 24/7, Sarracino Café, Lucida Laundry, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation, the Maltese Olympic Committee and Sport Malta for the Constant support.



That’s all for know
Yours in sports

Keith

1 comment: