Tuesday, February 24, 2015

3rd Maltese in Malta Half Marathon

Hi Everyone

Last Sunday I participated in the Malta Half Marathon. This race was my first target of the season. After coming 3rd and 2nd respectively in the last two years, this year I was targeting to finish the race as first Maltese. As usual I trained a lot and practiced the course many times in order to adapt myself to the course. However the race turned out to be very tactical among the top Maltese runners and against my characteristics. Weather was not that ideal as it was very windy all the way through with some heavy rain showers so personal best was out of the way


All the Maltese runners started together. We were a group of six at first running at a steady pace. None of us wanted to go in front and set a fast pace. No one even tried to go with the three foreigners in front. At half way point we were a group of four Maltese runners and all of a sudden it started to rain heavily. At the Mriehel by pass we really slowed down and I got so fed up with the pace that went in front and started pushing.

From there it started my race. I started to attack in all the uphills in order to go out from the group. However Mark Herrera and Clive Gerada where on top form . After the Marsa fly-over I attacked again and only Herrera stayed with me. Herrera attacked in the downhill before Valletta and I went straight after him. That was the moment I lost the race as my legs got stiff and heavy. I managed to stay with him and I attacked immediately on the uphill before ‘bieb il bombi’. Managed to open a few meters but Herrera managed to come back and attacked immediately at the sa maison downhill. I went straight after him but this time I could not stay with him



At this moment my legs got stiffer and heavier. I tried so hard to increase my speed but it was useless. I started to have cramps as well. At 2km go Clive Gerada overtook me as well. I could not run properly with my quads in such a bad state. I realised that even 3rd Maltese was under threat. I really suffered in the last 2km. They were all pain but I was determined to get the 3rd place at least. So I closed my eyes and gave everything I had left and at least managed a good 6th overall and 3rd maltese in a time of 1.14.18 and Birkirkara St Joseph finished 3rd as a team

Although I did not get the first maltese, I am pleased with my performance. I played all my cards and the way it turned out the race I could not have done better. But I don’t have to forget that I am a triathlete and not a runner and on such distance runners have some advantages on me but it always nice that although I am a triathlete I am still able to fight for the win in the most important running race in Malta. I know I can win this race one day. It’s just a matter of time and patience. I did three consecutive half marathons, all fighting for the win. Now my coach and I have to analysis everything. See what was good and were we have to change and see which tactic is best to use next time


I would like to congratulate Mark Herrera for winning the first maltese for the first time in his career as he deserves it and well done to clive gerada for running such a great race. I would like to thank my brother/coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my masseur Owen Attard, my parents and my wife’s parents, my nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Challenge Malta Marathon, Jaycee Malta, Starbene 24/7, Mochika Outdoor life, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation, the Kunsill Malti Ghall-isport and the Malta Olympic Committee for the great support.



Most of all a big thanks goes to my wife Elizabeth Galea for her continuous support and for her patience. Without her I cannot achieve such great results as she is a big part of my inner strength. Thanks a lot to everyone. Now it’s time to focus on the next target.

That’s all for now
Yours in sport

Keith

4 comments:

  1. Well done, you did great and I wish you continued success in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done and keep it up. A born athlete is always a winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate. I keep on doing my best as always. thanks for support

    ReplyDelete