Monday, July 8, 2013

First in opening race of Birkirkara St Joseph 5km Running Series

Hi Everyone

On the 25th June I took part in the first 5km Race of the Birkirkara St Joseph Road Running Series. The race was part of my training programme. The race was my third session of the day so did not have the fresh legs I wished to have. The week before I managed to complete 27 hours of training and I was a bit tired. I wasn’t expecting much of the race however since I was on the start line of a race I will do my best as usual
As soon as the race started I stayed in the leading pack till the 2nd Kilometre. After 2km I went in the lead and increased the pace to try and make selection. Legs were still good so I kept on pushing. Only Club team mate Steve Chetcuti managed to keep my pace until the last 200m where I opened a good sprint finish which gave the win in a Personal Best time of 16.17sec.


I also took part in the 2nd and 3rd Race of the Birkirkara st Joseph Swimming Series. Both races were of 2km held at Salina Bay. In the first race I had to start in the second wave as I missed the first race of the series due to international commitments in Turkey. It was going to be a 2km Time Trail as I was the fastest swimmer in the wave. I really had to push in order to do a fast time and to finish among the top swimmers. I managed in this attempt as I completed the 2km in 28.48, a new personal best time and finished third in the process.



In the third race, I was in the first wave. I tried to stay behind top Malta Swimmer Neil Agius but he was a class on his own. I ended up in a group of five swimmers. I stayed in front of the group setting up a fast pace. I tried to keep a high momentum to put a gap in between but did not manage. A sprint finish had to decide who will grab 2nd Place. At 200m to go my opponents opened their sprint. I immediately responded and managed to grab 2nd place in a new personal best time of 28.47. At the moment I am 3rd overall in the general classification

I am very pleased with all my performances especially with the 5km as it’s the second win of the season. I am very pleased with my form and am looking forward for the forthcoming races. My next race is the 2nd race of the birkirkara st Joseph triathlon series.

That’s all for now

Yours in Sport

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment