Monday, July 22, 2013

Another victory in BSJ Triathlon Series

Hi Everyone

On the 14th July I participated in the second race of the Birkirkara St. Joseph Triathlon Series. At the moment my training is focused on the race that I will be doing in Italy on the 4th august so I wasn’t that sharp as I wished to be for this race but still wanted to well and win the race and extend my lead in the series’ overall classification.



I started the swim at a very strong pace. Went into the lead immediately and I managed to open a good gap on my closest rival covering the 750m in 11minutes which was the best swim split of the day As soon as I started the bike, I felt that my legs were still not in shape after the hard training I did during the week. It took me a bit of time to get into a good rhythm. My rivals were closing the gap behind and slipped to second place. However since I had someone in front to aim was beneficial as I got into a good pace

In the middle of the bike segment I ended up between two Arriva bendy buses. I lost a lot of time trying to overtake them and at one point the bus in front braked and was going to get smashed in between. It was a great risk. I kept calm and still kept on pushing. I came into transition area in first place. I wanted to do a fast transition as I was on time of a personal best. However I lost a lot of time trying to find my stuff. The athlete that had my bike near mine put his bag on my running shoes and I lost a lot of time. I covered the 20km in 29.41 which is a good time but I know I can do much better.



I started the run at a very fast pace. I wanted to do a personal best and wanted to gain back the time lost. There were a few runners of the relay teams in front of me so had a good target trying to catch them. Half way through, I fell and hit my knee badly. I still continued running as fast as I can but praying not to have any other mishap till the finishing line. I finished the race in first place in a time of 59.34, still a personal best time by 6 seconds. I managed to set the best running split of the day covering the 5km in 17.39



I am pleased with my performance but a bit disappointed as with such a good weather I could have gone much faster if I had strong legs and if I didnt had all those mishaps during the race. There are still two sprint races to go so I still have another chance to go faster. I would like to thank my coach Dermot Galea and my sponsors GARMIN MALTA, Starbene shop of Mosta and BBB for their constant support. I would like to say a big thank you to my wife Elizabeth for always coming to support me in every single race

That's all for now
Yours in Sport
Keith


No comments:

Post a Comment