Friday, October 14, 2016

Winner of the first Edition of the Sicily Triathlon Series

Hi Everyone

After winning my 6th National Triathlon title, I took part in the grand final of the Sicily Triathlon Series a week later in Catania. This race was the last race of the season and I was determined to end the season on a positive note. The Series consisted of 6 races around Sicily and it was the main target for the 2016 Season.


The race in Catania was a Sprint Distance Triathlon which consisted of a 750m Swim 20km Bike and a 5km Run. After my brilliant performance in the previous race where I managed to regain the leading jersey, I had a good advantage in the general Classification before this final and my intentions were to administer well the advantage and plan this last race on the athletes who were following him.

I came out of the choppy water in 7th place and after a good transition I managed to be in a good group were we all did our part and worked really well together. This was of a great advantage for me as in less than 15km, we managed to catch the front runners. At this stage I tried to save energy for the run. In fact, I started the 5km in 4th place but thanks to a very good run I managed to get third place which was sufficient enough to be crowned champion of Sicily


I am overjoyed with my performance and with the overall victory as it was my main target of the 2016 season. It’s an honour for me to be the first winner of this series and it was not an easy win at all as I had to challenge himself with professional triathletes like Ennio Salerno whom a week before won the Italian National Team Triathlon Championships, Enrico Schiavino and Gabriele Grimaldi. The race was very tactical and the fact that I found collaboration of the bike helped me to catch the front runners and save his legs for the run, In fact I ran well and from 7th managed to place myself in 3rd

In my opinion my consistency was the main factor of this win. In the first race he placed 2nd overall in pergursa and won the following race in Marzamemi. In the 3rd race I placed 4th overall in Augusta and in the 4th race which was in Ali Terme Galea finished in 9th place but he lost time on the bike as he suffered a puncture. At this stage I was 2nd overall in the general Classification but then in August I had a brilliant performance in the Etna Duathlon as he finished 3rd overall and regained the leading spot.


My performance in the Etna Duathlon was the crucial part of this win as I not only managed to regain the leading jersey but opened a very good gap on my nearest rivals. However I think that I won the series in the 4th race were I had the puncture because I still kept on going till the end in order to get as much points as possible as I always believed that I could win it. Thanks to this victory, Galea was named as the Sicilian Triathlete of the year.

In the end I would like to thank Sportmalta and my club Birkirkara St Joseph for their financial help in order to participate in this series and the Malta Triathlon Federation for the constant support throughout this season. I also would like to thanks my coach Ivan Rozhnov and my brother Dermot Galea, my masseur Owen Attard , his family and my wife’s family and my sponsors www.garminmalta.com, BBB cycling Malta, Jaycee Malta, Team Barry Malta International Challenge Marathon, Lucida Laundry and Starbene 24/7.


 Most of all I would like to thanks my wife for her great support throughout the season. It was a difficult year for both of us full of pressure, tension and misfortune and her great support really help me to go through the tough moments I had to face. I want to dedicate this victory to my Wife Elizabeth and our new born daughter Elise


That’s all for now. 
Yours in Sports 
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment