Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Runner up in National Road Running Championships

Hi Everyone,

On Sunday 19th April I was on the starting line of the fifth and final race of the National Road Running championships, a 10km race at Marsascala where again I finished in a good second place. Knowing quite well that I was in a good chance to finish in the top three places in the championships’ general overall classification, I was determined to achieve a high placing from the very start of the race.



I started the race at my usual fast pace trying to keep championship favourite and leader Andrew Grech well in sight. I tried to stay with him as much as I could but after 2km I had to slow down and kept my own pace. My legs were not that strong as I was coming from a very hard training week so I decided to settle into my own pace and defend my second place.

The wide gap I managed to open in first stages of the race was sufficient to defend my second place well to finish the race in 34 minutes. I am very happy with my performance especially that I was coming from a very heavy training schedule. My tactic to go at a very fast pace in the beginning of the race yielded the desired result, that of coming 2nd in this race and in the overall classification
I am very proud and happy to achieve one of my targets of this year. It is a great result considering that each and every race of this championship were done as training.


 All this was possible thanks to my brother/coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my masseur Owen Attard, my nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my parents and my wife’s parents, my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Mochika Outdoor life, Jaycee Malta, Starbene 24/7 and Challenge Malta Marathon, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation, the Kunsill Malti ghall-isport and the Maltese Olympic Committee for the constant support and wally Galea for this photos. Most of all a big big thanks goes to my wife Elizabeth for her constant support and patience.

That’s all for now
Yours in Sports

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment