Friday, October 10, 2014

7th Heaven

Hi Everyone,

The season is coming to an end soon and we are now in the final races of the 2014 Triathlon calendar. Last Sunday I was on the starting line of the last race of the Birkirkara St Joseph Triathlon Series. My intention was to have a solid result and try to post the fastest splits in all the disciplines and trying to win the fourth race out of four races of the series.

The weather was much better than last time although there was the chance of rain during the race. I started the 750m swim as usual setting a fast pace trying to keep up with the relay team swimmers. At one point both swimmers were going off direction and so I decided to keep on swimming on my own. Soon after they noticed their mistake and joined me. We kept on pushing a relatively fast pace to come out of the water in 10.37. It was a very good time considering that the water was very choppy



After a not so good transition I started the 20km bike segment at a very strong pace. I wanted the fast bike split today and at the same time hoping that my legs will be able to run fast after the bike. Although I had a comfortable lead at the start of the bike, I pushed hard and still managed to extend my lead. I covered the 20km in 32.53 which was the best bike split of the day which I am very pleased of as it was the first time this year I had the best bike split.



In the 5km run I tried to go faster, trying to increase my lead. I managed to do so as I noticed that my gap was increasing in the first two laps. In the last lap of three I could not go faster as my legs were feeling the previous efforts. Still managed the best run of the day in 18.42 to win the 10th race of the season in 1.03.30 which is a new personal best on the course with a non - wetsuit swim



Seeing my performance, one could say that I had an easy and perfect race but there is always room for improvement. I know I can run faster because in training I am doing fast times and I have to improve my transitions as I need to be faster. In triathlon every second counts. Still I  m pleased with my performance and that I won the Birkirkara St Joseph Triathlon Series for a record of seven times in my career

I would like to thank my coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my parents, my wife’s parents, my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB Bike Parts Malta, Jaycee Malta, Challenge Malta Maraton and Starbene Shop of Mosta, my masseur Owen Attard, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, the Malta Triathlon Federation, the Maltese Sports Council and the Maltese Olympic Committee for their constant support


I would like to thank the club Birkirkara St Joseph and all its helpers for once again organizing a successful and professional series. We know that this year we had to change venue due to the work in progress at Salina. I can imagine the hassle that club and everyone involved had to go through in order to give us not only the usual standard but a better one than these last few years even if we had to race on a different route. THANKS A LOT BSJ……

That’s all for know

Thanks for following my blog. I really appreciate


Yours in Sports, 



KEITH

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keith,

    Always a pleasure to support you and sponsor you.
    Well done this year, all in all and I will be right behind you tomorrow to cap the season.

    C u in the morning,
    Barry
    (Challange Malta Marathon)

    ReplyDelete