Friday, June 6, 2014

5th overall in first edition of Triathlon1 Series

Hi Everyone

On the 18th May I was on the starting line of the first edition of the Triathlon1 Series organized by the Mediterranean Triathlon Federation in conjunction with the European Triathlon Union. The first Race of this series was organized in the Small town of Avola in Sicily. I was very looking forward to this race as I really like racing in Sicily

Unfortunately the weather was not that ideal for us athletes. Weather was awful. It rained all morning which made the technical bike course very slippery and dangerous. This fact was a major drawback as I did not know the course so well compared to the other athletes who raced in Avola in the previous editions. I was very frustrated and nervous before the race as I knew I could not give everything on the bike due to the slippery roads. It was a very high profile race as this race attracted a lot of professional athletes who race regularly for the Italian Triathlon Team. I knew that it was going to be a difficult and a very fast race. I started well in the swim covering the 1.2km swim in 15minutes, coming out from the water in 7th place just a few seconds behind the main group



On the bike I did my best to try and get in the group but the roads were too slippery. We had 4 laps round the town of Avola with some sharp corners. I managed to enter in the main group in the last lap and attacked  immediately to come in T2 in front of the group.The pace they set in the beginning of the running segment was amazing. So fast. They opened a 20m gap. I really pushed hard to get into the group. I managed to finish the race in 5th Place just 30seconds behind 2nd place. I was very surprised with my running time as I covered the 5km segment in a good time of 16.55 which is my fastest run ever in a sprint triathlon.

I am very pleased with my result. If it was not raining I could have done much better and could have fought for the whole race for a podium race. The times in both swimming and running are personal bests which means that all the hours of training are paying off. This is the best result I achieved in an Elite men's race with a strong professional field. I hope in the future will have other opportunities to race with such athletes to continue to improve my level



I would like to thank my brother coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my parents and my wife’s parents for their support. Thanks so much to my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB bike Parts Malta, Jaycee Malta, Malta Challenge Marathon, and Starbene Shop of Mosta for their support, and my club Birkirkara St Joseph  for their support. Last but not least, big thanks go to my wife Elizabeth for being by my side all the time leading up to such an important event for me. Here support is fundamental for me and without her I cannot produce such a great performance as I did. Here presence during races gives me so much comfort and strength that I will be able to express myself to the best of my abilities in races.

That’s all for now
Yours in Sport

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment