Saturday, April 12, 2014

Great Performance in Smart City Triathlon

Hi Everyone,

On the 30th of March I was on the starting line of the Smart City Olympic Triathlon which was held in Kalkara. The purpose of this race was to assess us National Team members and select the athletes who will make it to the Commonwealth Games. In fact the bike course was very technical in order to be similar as much as possible to Glasgow’s Route. My training was targeted to this race. A week before this race I took part in a 50km road race held at the Mellieha By Pass. It was the last pure test before this important event


 The cycling race was very hard. The Mellieha By pass is very hilly and to repeat it eight times is tough. In the first 3 laps I tried various times to attack but the group did not let me go. Then I just calmed down a bit and stayed with the top Maltese Cyclists. There were several attacks from the main contenders. We ended up only 4 fighting for the win until at two laps to go where there was another attack which I could not respond and ended up in 4th place. I tried hard to get back but my legs could not give me more. I was feeling the effects of the attacks I did in the beginning as legs were getting tired. Then I kept a constant pace and settled to 4th Place till the finish with less than a minute from the winner.



I went for the Kalkara race with one target, to win, but not only to just win. I want to win with wide gap. I wanted to show everyone that this year I am on top shape. From the word go I went immediately in the lead. For the first time in my life I had a very fast start in the swim. I immediately settled in a very fast pace and tried to keep the paced till the end of the swim. The sea was a bit choppy and my sighting was not very good. In fact I ended up swimming more than 1.5km. I went out of the water in 20.30 which was the best swim split of the day

The bike was very hard. The course was hilly and technical and the strong winds made it more difficult. In certain parts of the course the winds were so strong that it was difficult to control the bike. I was gaining ground on everyone but not on the 2nd placed athlete. I had around 1 minute lead, so I just settled in a good pace in the end and save my legs for the run. Still I managed to register the best bike of the day.


In the run I immediately settled into a fast pace. Again it was windy and I could run the usual pace but it was the last chance to increase the gap. I pushed a lot. I noticed that my advantage was increasing so I kept on pushing till the very end as my legs were fine and still fresh. I won the race in a time of 2hrs 9mins registering also the best run of the day as well. I won the race with a good margin, 5.30 from 2nd place and 8.30 from 3rd place athlete.

I am very happy with the performance. The way I felt throughout the whole race was fantastic and this means that I am on the right track. I had a storming swim and run. The bike was good but I suffered a lot because of the strong winds and the wheels I used were not good for such conditions which made things even harder. I am also very satisfied with my performance in the cycling race. Being there among the top Maltese cyclists is very encouraging. If I used my energy more sensibly I could have done better but it was a good training race



I would like to thank my brother coach Dermot Galea, my swimming coach Catalin Stan, my parents and my wife’s parents for their support. Thanks so much to my sponsors Garmin Malta, BBB bike Parts Malta, Jaycee Malta, Malta Challenge Marathon, and Starbene Shop of Mosta for their support, my club Birkirkara St Joseph and the Malta Triathlon Federation for their support. Last but not least, big thanks go to my wife Elizabeth for being by my side all the time leading up to such an important event for me. Here support is fundamental for me and without her I cannot produce such a great performance as I did. Here presence during races gives me so much comfort and strength that I will be able to express myself to the best of my abilities in races.

That’s all for now
Another post will be uploaded soon so stay tuned.
Yours in Sport
Keith




No comments:

Post a Comment