Friday, June 28, 2013

Back to winning ways

Hi Everyone

Finally the first win of the season arrived. After a poor performance at the national Duathlon Championships due to sickness, I am back on winning ways. I won the first race of the Birkirkara St Joseph Triathlon Series, a series I won for 5 times in my career.  This year I focused a lot on running and had very good performances placing among the top 3 runners. For me that was like a win but coming first is a different feeling. It was not easy for me psychologically to be back on the start line so soon after such a performance in the duathlon but I was determined to prove that I am still on top.



The Triathlon was held at Kalkara Bay. Since it was a different route I did most of my sessions at race venue. I tackled mostly the bike as it was very technical and with false flats parts. It’s a route that it does not suit my characteristics, however if I trained a lot on it I could make the difference. I started the swim at a very fast pace. I took the lead after the first buoy together with my brother/coach Dermot. I was first out of the water covering the 750m in 11minutes 20seconds.



On the bike, I tried to push and put some gap between my brother and I but Dermot was strong so I settled in a good pace. Both my brother and I kept a constant pace. The route was very difficult so I tried to save my legs for the run as it will determine the winner of the race. I covered the 20km in 33minutes registering the third best bike split.

After the bike to run transition I immediately went into the lead. My legs were fresh and I noticed that Dermot was suffering a bit so I pushed a lot. I opened a good gap. In the turnaround there were no marshals and I did not turn until someone told me to turn back because I was going in a completely wrong way. Most of my advantage build was reduced. I kept calm and pushed again to win the race 20seconds in front of my brother and a minute in front of the 3rd athlete.



I am happy that I am back to winning ways. I trained a lot for this victory and after a win I feel that all the training I am doing is worth it. Now my next commitment is next Friday were I will be on the start line for the European Triathlon Championships which are going to be held in Alanya Turkey were am looking for a positive result and a strong performance. I would like to thank my sponsors GARMIN MALTA, STARBENE SHOP of Mosta and BBB for their constant support.

That’s all for Now
Yours in Sports

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment