Monday, February 25, 2013

3rd MLT and a New PB in Malta Half Marathon

Hi Everyone

Yesterday I took part in the Malta Half Marathon. My target was to finish among the top 3 Maltese and set a time around 1hr 15mins. I was so looking forward for this years half Marathon as i wanted to do a great performance. In fact I peaked and trained specifically for this race.







After very encouraging results in the mdina spinola and in local 10km road races battling with the Maltese top runners setting new personal bests I was very confident. Unfortunately i did not had a good week leading up to the race as i was a bit sick and was not sleeping well. I knew something was wrong. I was sweating a lot during the night even the night before the race. That means that I had temperature. 

Although sick i wanted to do a good performance at least. On Race Day I noticed that there was the possibility to come first Maltese. I went with the leading pack however they were a bit faster so i settled in my own pace. Felt running well and relaxed. An athlete from ragusa caught me and kept on with him. I was first maltese at the moment and was surprised actually. I was hoping to hang on because i knew my body was not responding as usual although i was running well.





I was feeling well but when we reached bieb il bombi my legs all of a sudden felt heavy. I started to have cramps and legs got heavier and heavier. I was struggling.I looked back and noticed that the two maltese behind me were gaining ground. I did everything i could do to hang on but at 1.5km to go the two Maltese caught me and finished 3rd Maltese in 1.15.16, a new personal best by 4mins

Target achieved but pity i was sick because i think i could have come 1st Maltese. After the race i went home in bed with 101 temperature. Now i know that to finish 1st maltese can be achieved and i know i can go faster than 1.15. Now will have a period of recovery and focus on other important stuff as in three weeks time i am getting married. The last month was a bit stressful as i had to train for the race, prepare the wedding and arrange the new house so maybe got sick due to the accumulation of stress. After the honeymoon will be back training harder than ever to achieve my targets set for the rest of the year



I would like to thank my Coach, 10 times Malta Triathlon Champion Dermot Galea for his training, nutritionist Johanna Calleja, my parents, my club Birkirkara St Joseph, my sponsors Garmin Malta, Starbene Shop of Mosta and BBB for their constant support. I would like to say a big thank you to my wife to be so so so soon Elizabeth Galea for here believe in my abilties and here help especially in the last month which was very stressful for both of us. Without you i would not have achieved my target even if i was not in the best possible shape. Thanks qalbi xxx

Yours in Sport

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment