Friday, July 20, 2012

Victories at Salina and Xemxija Bay

Hi Everyone, June was another positive month for me. On the 10th of June I participated in the first Race of the Birkirkara St Joseph Triathlon Series. I won the series for 4 times and I wanted to defend my title with a win and a very strong performance. I wanted to continue with the winning momentum. I was peaking for the race of the week after, the TCSSE Selection race so I was not on top form as I continued with my normal schedule however when I am in a race, I go for the win. I had a pretty good swim; however my time was a bit slower than usual. The others were a bit closer than usual and so I started the bike segment at a strong pace. I was cycling well and powerful and felt good sensations, however at the back they were gaining ground due to the fact that they were a group of 6 and obviously that helped them a lot to produced very good bike splits. I covered the 20km in 29.32 which is a personal best on the course and started the run, leading the race with less than a minute.
I pushed the run from the beginning. I knew that I could go under the hour again and even try to go for the course record as I was running well. However the heat was taking its toll. Still kept a good pace covering the 5km in 17.46 to finish the race in 59.39, 10seconds away from my personal best and 30 seconds from the course record. A week later there was the TCSSE Selection Race. I was looking forward for this race as finally we were going to race in a different venue and the bike course really suited my climber characteristics as it was very undulating. I came out from the water in 2nd place in a time of 23mins. Considering the bad vision we had to face with all those boats in the bay and slowing down the pace to see the buoys, I was happy with the time.
Strangely coming out of the water I had cramps and I was afraid for a moment. The bike course is hard and was expecting cramps in the run and having cramps coming out of the water not even starting the bike was not a good sign. I started the bike at a steady pace keeping in mind that the bike course is hard (7 loops of the St. Paul’s by pass) and about the cramps. I was alone in front leading the race with a 2mins advantage on a group of 4 who were working hard together to catch me. However I was increasing my pace in every single lap and managed to gain some valuable seconds on the group. When I started the run, my legs were ok so I could push it on the run. However it was very hot; so tried to keep myself hydrated all the time. I continued to push to gain more time on the others at the back. Wanted to win with a good gap and managed to do so winning the race in 2 hours 13mins increasing my advantage to 3mins thus winning a spot in Team Malta who will fly to Luxembourg to represent the country in the TCSSE.
I am very pleased with both races. I managed to go under the hour in a sprint distance which is very good and I know that I can go much faster and give it a good try to lower the course record, and also pleased to be selected in Team Malta for the TCSSE with such a strong performance especially on the bike. I liked the bike course at Xemxija and I am pleased that I managed to hang on to the lead in front alone and even setting up the fastest bike split. I would like to say a big well done to the Malta Triathlon Assiciation for organising such a good race at xemxija. Finally we raced on a new course. Yours Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment