Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sickness ruins first race of the season

Hi Everyone,

Last Sunday, I took part in the first race of the Cycling racing calendar, the classic Qormi-Dingli Time Trial. The race was 10.5km long which started from the Mriehel by-pass to the village of Dingli. Every year, the weather always seems to be the same, heavy rain, slippery roads and force 8 head wind! Such weather hinders a cyclist.

The race was part of my training schedule, however when on a start line, one always tries to give it one’s best! I tried and studied the race route several times as to know when is best to push. Unfortunately, I was sick during the race weekend, so I was not expecting great results. However I don’t like to give up and I did the race as planned against all odds.

The weather did not help me being sick. I did a good warm up and tried to stay as warm as I could because it was a very cold morning. Unfortunately 5 minutes before my start it started raining heavily and I hate racing in the rain because roads are dangerous when wet and I could not take the risks I usually take.

I started fast but not all out, so that I preserve my energy for the Saqqajja hill. I really pushed and I really suffered against the wind. It was so strong that it was difficult to keep control of my front wheel. I attacked the hill and from then I started pushing to the maximum. However I could not as roads were slippery and my legs were not in their 100%. I realized that I was still sick and that I could not get the best out of my body.

I covered the 10.5km Time Trial in 22mins 13seconds in 10th place. I am a bit disappointed because I was in a very good shape and wanted to have an indication from the race about my form. However, considering everything, coming home 10th, 30 sec away from the top 5 is a good result

That’s all for now

Keith

1 comment:

  1. It is my philosophy in life that the harder situations are the best occasions to contribute in the forming of a stronger character.

    It also follows that the stronger the character you have the more perseverant you become. Whilst I am no authority in the sporting field, it should come to you as no surpise that perseverance (what you will probably refer to as stamina) is a key tenet in attaining results.

    And there you go, according to my logic you are now stronger than before. You won't always be sick and the sun will come out. You'll get your chance to get your 30 seconds back twice over so don't you worry. Prosit man.

    ReplyDelete